Friday, July 20, 2012

Protecting my Transitioning Hair this Summer.

This summer is different from any of my summers before it for about ten years. This summer my hair is not chemically treated. While having hair that is not chemically treated has a ton of benefits, finding summer friendly protective styles becomes all the more important. Kinky, coily hair in it's natural state is brittle and has trouble remaining moisturized. The best bet is to put it up and away with extension. My summer style of choice are braids. Unless you know how to braid your self the style can run you anywhere from $150-$300 dollars, depending on the length and thickness of the braids. The hair is synthetic and inexpensive, about $25 ($2/pack) worth of hair should cover it. Anyway, so your thinking, "Why extensions?" Well extensions keep the elements from directly stripping from the hair it's natural oils and moisture. Braids, specifically, allow you to still wash the hair and scalp often, and put moisture back in from all the swimming and sunning you'll be doing this summer. Braids are also pretty versatile. You can do pretty much any style you want. One of my favorites has to be the ultra high bun. For daily maintenance I like to spray the scalp and beginning of the braids with a leave-in I like to make my own, but a cheap alternative is Aussie Hair Insurance. Whatever you do this summer make sure your comfortable. Although extensions are very helpful to maintain healthy hair they can also be damaging if too tight, pulled up too soon, or worn too often. Be careful!


FTC Disclaimer: I was not paid/compensated for reviewing any product. All opinions are my own and this product was purchased with my own money.


Best Zest,


Jamara

1 comment:

  1. hey jam! i'm definitely gonna try that Aussie Hair Insurance, thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete